At Burke & Domercq, LLP, in Carlsbad, California, two attorneys with outstanding credentials have partnered to create a firm focused exclusively on divorce and family issues.. We address matters at all levels of complexity and conflict with emphasis on focused personal attention, strategic preparation and cost-efficiency.
Daniel V. Burke has practiced family law since 1977, and has been certified as a Specialist in Family Law by the California Board of Legal Specialization of the State Bar of California since 1991. Mr. Burke is a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and a Fellow of the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. Mr. Burke has also served as a Judge Pro Tem of the San Diego County Superior Court since 1986.
Mr. Burke has lectured extensively throughout the state of California on a wide variety of family law matters for many organizations, and has also written extensively on family law matters. Daniel V. Burke will devote his 30+ years of skill, experience and expertise and the resources of a sophisticated and dedicated office to assist you in achieving your goals in your family matters.
Pierre A. Domercq gained extensive, invaluable experience in business prior to entering the practice of law in 1997, and he has since built an excellent reputation in San Diego area courts and among his professional peers. Mr. Domercq stays on the cutting edge of emerging family law issues, and he has appeared on television to comment on a major development in a prominent appellate case.
Susan Minnick Gathman received her Juris Doctor from the University of San Diego School of Law, where she was awarded scholarships for academic merit, student leadership, contributing to campus diversity and for her work in indigent defense. During law school, she served on the Student Honor Court and earned concentrations in Criminal Litigation and Public Interest Law. Sue interned with the Vista Family Law Facilitator’s Office, as well as the San Diego Public Defender, the Employee Rights Center in City Heights, and USD’s Veterans’ Clinic. She currently serves as a Volunteer Attorney with Casa Cornelia Law Center in San Diego, representing unaccompanied children in immigration court, and with the San Diego Volunteer Lawyers’ Program’s North County restraining order clinic, where she earned the 2015 Distinguished Volunteer Award. She finds family law especially rewarding, and enjoys the opportunity to assist clients as they navigate challenging life situations.
Sue earned her B.A. in German Linguistics from the University of California at Davis, and lives in North County with her three children. She enjoys traveling, cooking, history, live music, quilting, postcards, trivia and the written word.
Rebecca Robson joined Burke & Domercq in 2012 and is our lead paralegal. Rebecca has over 5 year's paralegal experience in family law and over 7 years' experience in the legal field. Rebecca received her paralegal certification from the University of California, San Diego's American Bar Association approved paralegal program in 2011 after obtaining a Bachelor's degree in Psychology and a Minor in Anthropology. Rebecca is a certified Master Teacher. Rebecca's lengthy experience and training in early childhood education is an asset to our clients confronting custody and visitation cases, as well as domestic violence matters.
At Burke & Domercq, LLP, Rebecca assists our clients and attorneys throughout the legal process, oversees and manages legal calendaring and our website contacts. Rebecca also trains and oversees administration staff and paralegals. Outside the office, Rebecca enjoys running, fishing, swimming, cooking, traveling, snowboarding and spending time with her family.
Rebecca regularly attends conferences and seminars, and participates in additional education and training. Rebecca has been a key speaker and presented at a Family Law Webinar and continues to review and provide feedback for upcoming seminars. Currently, Rebecca is enrolled in law school where she received a scholarship for scoring above the top 5% on her entry exams.
Rebecca is devoted to staying abreast of changes in the family law process. She has completed, among other courses, the following seminars and educational presentations/classes:
- 8/21/2011 - Relevance and Limits
- 8/22/2011 - Is It Hearsay?
- 5/23/2012 - Family Court Services Training, Your Questions Answered
- 9/8/2012 - The Discovery Seminar
- 9/26/2012 - Hot Trial Tips for Family Law
- 1/11/2013 - Emergency Paralegal Rules Seminar
- 4/4/2013 - 2013 CFLS Spring Seminar-State-Wide Rules of Court and San Diego County Family Law Local Rules, Attachment Issues of Young Children, Substance Abuse and Attachment Issues, Trail Techniques, Using Attachment Evidence and Weight Given to Attachment Evidence in Child Custody
- 4/24/2013 - Courtroom Procedures from the Court and Clerks Perspective
- 6/7/2013 - CFLS Summer Seminar-Dividing Pension Plans, Adoption, Divorce Taxation, etc.
- 6/26/2013 - Order Enforcement
- 9/19/2013 - Default Judgments
- 10/17/2013 - Recovering the Economic Damage Done by Divorce to Credit
- 11/21/2013 - Roundtable of Family Law Judges and Commissioners
- 7/31/2013 - Family Law Paralegals Seminar
- 12/17/2013 - Attorney Charging Liens
- 1/16/2014 - Enforcement of Court Orders
- 3/20/2014 - Parameters of Discovery in Post-Judgment Motions
- 4/9/2014 - Ultimate Trial Notebook
- 4/17/2014 - Enforcement of Support Orders
- 4/22/2014 - Malpractice Prevention and Conflicts of Interest
- 4/30/2014 - Collecting Post-Judgment, Methods That Work
- 6/6/2014 - SDCBA Summer Seminar-Ethics, Domestic Violence Special Focus, Stereotypes and Cultural Sensitivity, Elimination of Bias
- 7/30/2014 - SDFLBA/SDVLP Family Law Seminar, Ethics of ESI, Handling Electronic Discovery, Digital Assets, and Ethics
- 11/24/2014 - A Family Law Paralegal's Guide to Discovery in Divorce [Presenter/Speaker]
- 10/14/2015 - Psychology of Domestic Violence
- 10/30/2015 - What Family Law Judges want you to know
- 11/3/2015 - Overcoming Barriers; Legal Issues and Family Interventions When Children Resist Contact with a Parent
- 12/2/2015 - Ethic Communications and Relationships
- 2/16/2016 - Social Media Secrets: How to Get them Easily
- 2/17/2016 - Securing Fees with a Family Law Attorney's Real Property Lien
- 2/25/2016 - Stock-Based Compensation Issues in Family Law Proceedings
- 6/15-5/2016 - Criminal Law 1 and 2
- 6/15-5/2016 - Tort Law 1 and 2
- 6/15-5/2016 - Contract Law 1 and 2
- 6/15-5/2016 - Legal Writing
- 2/15-6/2016 - Essay Workshop
- 6/24-26/2016 - First Year Law Student Exam prep course
Penni Delagnes joined Burke & Domercq, LLP in 2004 and is our senior paralegal. Penni has 20+ years paralegal experience, primarily in the areas of family law and civil litigation. Penni works alongside our attorneys in all aspects of a case to provide superior personalized representation of our clients. Penni received her paralegal certificate with honors from the University of San Diego and Bachelor of Arts in political science from San Diego State University. In 2006, Penni was named Legal Assistant of the Year by Northern San Diego County Legal Professional's Association.
Penni is originally from New York and resides in Oceanside with her husband and two children. Penni spends her free time enjoying all that San Diego has to offer, being outdoors as much as possible, travel, yoga, reading, and just spending time with her family and close friends.
Penni received her American Bar Association paralegal certificate with honors from the University of San Diego after obtaining a Bachelor of Arts in political science from San Diego State University. Penni joined Burke & Domercq, LLP in 2004 and is our senior paralegal. Penni has 20+ years paralegal experience, primarily in the areas of family law and civil litigation. Penni works alongside our attorneys in all aspects of a case to provide superior personalized representation of our clients. Penni was named Legal Assistant of the Year by Northern San Diego County Legal Professional's Association.
Penni is originally from New York and currently resides in Oceanside with her husband and two children. Penni spends her free time enjoying all that San Diego has to offer, hiking, traveling, yoga, reading, and spending time with her family and close friends.
Penni regularly participates in continuing education including recent programs in the following areas:
- 5/23/2012 - Family Court Services: Your Questions Answered
- 9/8/2012 - Discovery including E-Discovery
- 1/11/2013 - Statewide Rules of Court and San Diego Family Law Rules
- 4/4/2013 - Issues in Child Custody
- 6/7/2013 - Dividing Pensions and Divorce Taxation
- 6/26/2013 - Judgment Enforcement in California
- 4/9/2014 - Ultimate Trial Notebook
- 7/30/2014 - Legal and Ethical Issues in Family Law
- 9/17/2015 - Drafting Judgments
- 11/3/2015 - Overcoming Barriers when children resist contact with a parent
- 2/16/2016 - Social Media Secrets
- 2/17/2016 - Mandatory Settlement Conferences
- 2/25/2016 - Stock-Based Compensation Issues in Family Law
Vivian McKenzie received her Associate of Arts from Centralia College in 2007 and obtained a Bachelor's of Law, Societies and Justice from the University of Washington in 2011. Vivian joined Burke & Domercq, LLP in 2013 and received her Paralegal Letter of Certification in 2015. Vivian works alongside our attorneys in all aspects of a case and continues to oversee our administrative staff.
In her spare time, Vivian likes to exercise, spend time with her dogs, and visit with friends and family.
Vivian regularly participates in continuing education and has recently completed additional training in following areas:
- 12/17/2013 - Attorney's Lien
- 3/19/2015 - DissoMaster
- 7/15/2015 - Electronic Evidence in Family Law
- 7/30/2015 - 12th Annual Family Law Paralegal Seminar
- 9/17/2015 - Judgments
- 2/16/2016 - Social Media Secrets: How to get them easily
- 2/17/2016 - Securing Fees with a Family Law Real Property Lien
- 2/25/2016 - Stock-Based Compensation Issues in Family Law Proceedings
Jacquelyn Minney is a member of the paralegal team. She received her paralegal certificate from the University of San Diego and Bachelor of Arts in Communication from California State University, San Marcos.
Jacquelyn resides in Carlsbad where she spends most of her free time at the beach or with family and close friends.
Jocelyn Gonzalez joined our office in 2015 and is our office document and billing processor. At Burke & Domercq, LLP, Jocelyn manages the document processing, billing. Jocelyn assists clients as well as staff with the administrative tasks. Jocelyn scans, distributes, and organizes documentation, evidence, and correspondence to and from counsel, the other party, court, and others. Jocelyn is devoted to assisting our professional staff and our clients.
Jocelyn grew up in Florida and is a University of Florida graduate where she successfully attained a Bachelor's degree in Criminology and Law. In her spare time Jocelyn enjoys spending time with her family, going to farmer's markets, and often participates in online political correspondence.
Denali Wixsom graduated from the American Bar Association University of San Diego paralegal program in December 2015. Denali has a Bachelor's degree in Business Management and Administration from California State University of San Marcos. Denali joined Burke & Domercq in 2016. Denali facilitates client matters by working with our attorneys and lead paralegals to ensure that all documents are complete and all client needs are met.
Denali is originally from upstate New York and has lived in San Diego County for the past 10 years. In her spare time, Denali likes to travel, read, and solve crossword puzzles. Denali is also a member of a rock climbing gym in Carlsbad.
Jennifer Gambrell is an intregal member of our paralegal team. Jennifer discovered her passion for law while interning in a family law firm during her undergrad at Hawaii Pacific University. After graduating in 2007 with a Bachelor of Arts in International Studies, she fell in love with a local non-profit called REINS Therapeutic Horsemanship Program, that specialized in providing life-changing therapy for children and adults with disabilities. Jennifer worked for REINS, as their Development Coordinator, for nine years. In 2015, she decided to expand upon her extensive experience working with children and adults to assist families with their domestic and family law matters. She successfully completed the Paralegal Program at the University of San Diego and in September 2015 obtained her American Bar Association Paralegal Certificate.
At Burke & Domercq, LLP, Jennifer keeps our clients informed about their case and assists them and the attorneys, working towards resolution throughout all aspects of the legal process. Outside of the office, Jennifer enjoys exploring San Diego and spending time with family and friends.
Jennifer regularly attends conferences and seminars, along with additional education and training. Jennifer has completed the following seminars and continuing education courses:
- 2015 - Preparation and Processing Family Law Judgments by Commissioner Patti Ratekin;
- 2015 - Military Pay and Benefits in Family Law by Commissioner Patti Ratekin & Alexander Verduci, Esq.;
- 2015 - The Paralegals Handbook to Ethical Communications and Relationships by The Institute for Paralegal Education;
- 2015 - "The Psychology of Domestic Violence" by The San Diego Family Law Bar Association;
- 2016 - Social Media Secrets by The American Association of Matrimonial Lawyers;
- 2016 - Family Law Orders and Enforcement Remedies by The North County Certified Family Law Specialists and the North County Bar Association; &
- 2016: Stock Based Compensation in Family Law Proceedings by Th e American Association of Matrimonial Lawyers.
Breonne Halcovich – Legal Administrative Secretary
After 12 years in multiple, diverse industries, Breonne Halcovich joined Burke & Domercq, LLP in September of 2015 as a Legal Administrative Secretary. Originally from Chino Hills, CA, she moved to Oceanside in 2013. She is married to her husband Ryan and mother to her son Jayden.
At Burke & Domercq, LLP, Breonne assists clients and supports the attorneys and paralegals with daily tasks, manages scheduling, implements procedures to enhance client communications and oversees the administrative duties necessary to keep the office running efficiently. She has successfully completed and obtained certification for Cal/OSHA and Human Resource Law. In addition to her administrative duties, Bre assists our client’s by providing complimentary Notary Services.
Breonne enjoys spending time with her family, pets, and swimming laps at the local pool.
Michelle Head is part of our administrative staff. Michelle has grown up in sunny San Diego. With dreams of being in the legal field, Michelle aspires to be a paralegal. At Burke and Domercq she assists the paralegals and attorneys with all client files; to ensure all necessary do -cuments are current. She also performs numerous other administrative duties, and assists our paralegals.
Michelle is a Notary Public available to assist our clients.
Even as Type 1 Diabetic, Michelle maintains an active lifestyle. Michelle enjoys playing soccer, running, and snowboarding. Family is an integral part of her life, especially her parents and siblings.
Ravi Mohan after obtaining a Bachelor's Degree from the University of California, Santa Barbara , Ravi Mohan was admitted to Thomas Jefferson School of Law with a Dean's Merit Scholarship. During his time at Thomas Jefferson, Ravi interned at the San Diego Public Defender's Office and a corporate law firm where he worked on a large securities case. Ravi also competed in two national Mock Trial competitions as a member of the Thomas Jefferson Trial Advocacy team, and has earned honors in multiple fields. Ravi discovered his passion for family law and intends to special in Family Law after passing the California State Bar Exam.
Ravi is currently a law clerk and is on his way to becoming an Associate Attorney at BURKE & DOMERCQ, LLP.
You can find Ravi at the gym whenever he isn't working. He is also an avid football fan; the Denver Broncos are his favorite team. Ravi lives in North County with his beautiful wife.
For more on our lawyers' backgrounds and accomplishments, please follow the links below to their individual profiles. To request a consultation focused on your needs and concerns, please contact our firm.