Family Matters.
When It Really Matters.

How To Achieve Post Decree Modifications to Spousal Support

On Behalf of | Nov 19, 2019 | Post Decree Modifications

Are you searching for information on how to achieve post decree modifications to spousal support in North County San Diego?  Spousal support is quite common, especially in marriages which last longer than ten years.  Can an order of spousal support be modified down the road?  What happens if the Judge issued a Gavron Warning and the time has come and gone?

If you are going to ask the Court to consider post decree modifications to spousal support there must generally be a significant change in the “Status Quo” – the financial income or standard of living of one or both of the parties as established by the final orders in the divorce itself.

For example, if the recipient of spousal support has moved in with a new partner, started a new job or achieved a raise or substantial advance in their work they may no longer require the same level of support.  If the person paying spousal support has experienced a significant increase or decrease in income there may also be grounds to request a change in spousal support.

Here in California, Judges often issue a “Gavron Warning” at the time of the final orders.  This instructs the recipient of spousal support to become financially self-sufficient within a specific period of time.  Failure to make appropriate efforts to learn new skills or achieve meaningful employment can result in modifications to existing spousal support.

This is why it is important to work with the experienced Certified Family Law Specialists at Burke & Domercq.  We have represented clients in post decree modifications to spousal support for decades.

If you have been through a divorce in Carlsbad Oceanside Encinitas or Carlsbad and wish to ask the court for post decree modifications to spousal support or to enforce the Gavron Warning issued to your spouse we invite you to contact Burke & Domercq or call 760-389-3927 to schedule an appointment with one of our skilled attorneys.