Family Matters.
When It Really Matters.

What to Do If You Receive Divorce Papers in San Diego

On Behalf of | Oct 5, 2021 | Divorce

Do you know what to do if you receive divorce papers in San Diego?  What should you know if you’ve been unexpectedly served with a divorce?

The most important thing you should know if you receive divorce papers in San Diego is they can’t be simply ignored.  You have been given a relatively short time to reply (30 days).  If you choose to ignore the divorce filing and fail to submit a reply to the Court your ex will almost always get everything they’ve asked for.  This applies to everything from child custody (or none), child and spousal support to the division of assets and debts including your own retirement.

There are several important pieces of information noted in the opening page(s) of the document.  If you receive divorce papers in San Diego it is important to notice the specific Court in San Diego where your divorce was filed and the time frame you have to respond to the petition.  The petition should show if your former spouse has an attorney or if the divorce petition was filed on their own.

You need to prepare a thorough response which addresses each numbered statement contained within the petition.  You are able to propose different solutions for every issue addressed within the divorce petition.  Offer your own proposal regarding the children, support, debts and assets, even the pets.

You also need to know you don’t have to face this alone.  Burke & Domercq has helped clients to respond to divorce petitions for decades here in San Diego.  We provide sound advice and help you to assert your own rights, interests and preferences.  You’ll feel a little better after learning more about the process and the strategies for managing the emotions, finances, disagreements and issues ahead.

If you receive divorce papers in San Diego we invite you to protect your own interests and contact us or call 760-389-3927 to schedule an appointment for a remote or socially distanced consultation with one of our experienced Certified Family Law Specialists.