Carlsbad Family Lawyers For Child Custody And Support
If you are divorcing with children or are involved in a paternity case, it is critical to understand how California child support is determined and the nature of this obligation once orders are entered. At Burke & Domercq, APC, a knowledgeable Carlsbad child support attorney will consider the facts of your case and help you strategize and plan accordingly.
Full-Spectrum Family Law Counsel From Carlsbad Divorce Lawyers
Simply stated, monetary support orders for children are determined by facts and numbers. Deviations can happen in this formula, depending on both parents’ incomes and expenses as well as the time that the children spend with each parent. It is not likely that other factors will play a part, but it is possible under specific circumstances. We help our clients with:
- Seeing these support orders are created on accurate information from both sides – which can require investigation to prove hidden income or other unique factors
- Building divorce strategies by predicting the likely child support order.
- Settling paternity matters and related child support problems
- Working to defeat or approve modifications of a divorce agreement because of notable changes in circumstances or the child’s needs
We are often asked if one must use the California guidelines when calculating child support for children after a divorce. There are valid reasons for what is known legally as a “deviation” from the guideline support. The court will require very specific and detailed reasoning and supporting documentation.
The experienced certified family law specialist at Burke & Domercq, APC, work with our clients to evaluate their unique scenarios to determine the best possible strategy. It may be possible to offset guideline support with other income or a shift in the division of community property or other assets.
Post-Decree Child Support Modifications
Many parents find the need to modify their child support orders following a substantial change in their lives. Some reasons to seek a post-judgment modification include:
- Increase in income
- Decrease in income
- Change in a parenting schedule
- Deployment for military service
- Incarceration of one parent
- Change in child’s financial needs
We can help you pursue the outcome that allows your children to thrive.
Divorcing With Children? A Carlsbad Divorce Attorney Can Help.
Our attorneys have decades of experience advocating for parents’ and children’s best interests. We are financially savvy and widely respected in area courts and by our peers in the legal profession. For counsel you can trust on child support and other matters, please contact our firm or call 760-389-3927 at your earliest convenience.