What determines spousal support orders in long term marriages which end in a divorce in North County or Carlsbad? Generally speaking our courts consider a long term marriage as one which lasted more than ten years. In these cases the court will often consider either a more substantive spousal support, a longer term of support or a combination of both.
There are many factors which go into the calculation of spousal support and the California spousal support laws are quite complex. There is not a guideline calculator as would exist in child support calculations. The negotiations are generally based on the standard of living the couple enjoyed during the course of the marriage and several other important factors, including but not limited to:
- The commitment of one spouse to leave a career to manage the household or raise children
- The support of one spouse as another seeks additional education, an advanced degree or professional certification or licensing
- The age and health of the parties
- The employability (present and future) of the party who will receive spousal support
- Other factors associated with the division of community property to offset spousal support
The Certified Family Law Specialists at Burke & Domercq have represented spouses in divorce cases of long term marriages for many decades here in Carlsbad. Many issues associated with spousal support orders in long term marriages are resolved through effective negotiation. Our attorneys aggressively advocate for our client’s goals and objectives while working to maintain a productive working relationship with opposing counsel and the other party. Mediation may also prove to be a timely and cost-effective option to resolve questions or disputes relating to spousal support in these cases.
If you have questions about spousal support orders in long term marriages or any other issue relating to divorce in Carlsbad Encinitas or Oceanside we invite you to review the recommendations of our clients and the recognition of the legal industry and contact Burke & Domercq or call 760-389-3927 to schedule an appointment with one of our experienced attorneys.