How important is a good parenting plan in a Carlsbad divorce? Your parenting plan will establish how you and your former spouse will share time with the children as well as the ability to make legal decisions regarding each child’s health, education and religious upbringing. The time you spend carefully planning this important schedule will have a tremendous impact not only on the quality of each child’s life, but your own as well.
What Does a Parenting Plan Do?
The parenting plan is a legal agreement which should carefully describe every aspect of providing and caring for each child after a divorce. It should be uniquely tailored to the existing rhythms of existing patterns in the life of each child. The Court will want to know important details such as:
- Will each parent have equal amounts of quality time with each child?
- How will holidays, vacations and important occasions such as birthdays be handled?
- How will you exchange physical custody of the child(ren) and how will the child(ren) move between households (or will the parents move in and out of the family home)?
- How will communications between the child and each parent as well as the former spouses be managed?
- What happens if there is a genuine, principled disagreement regarding child custody or parenting time in the future?
The Court’s guiding and central principle in determining a good parenting plan in a Carlsbad divorce is always the “best interests of a child.” It is considered to be in the best interests of a child for them to see and spend roughly equal amounts of quality time with each parent. This is a time to truly put your children first. Your spouse may have disappointed you as a partner, but how are they as a parent?
The Court will also pay attention to all communications between you and your former spouse as it attempts to determine the true nature of each party and their ability to effectively co-parent. It is very important to establish a good parenting plan in a Carlsbad divorce. The experienced divorce and family law attorneys at Burke & Domercq can help you to develop an effective strategy for the process and work through the details of your parenting plan.