Family Matters.
When It Really Matters.

Modification of Spousal Support Orders in North County San Diego

On Behalf of | Apr 17, 2019 | Spousal Support

If you live in Carlsbad, Encinitas, Oceanside or Vista and are concerned about the modification of spousal support orders in Carlsbad you will need and experienced local lawyer.  The attorneys at Burke & Domercq have decades of experience in local family law Courts and extensive experience with spousal support orders and modifications.

Does spousal support continue until death do us part?  The first step is to review the initial orders of the Court contained within your divorce agreement.  Long term marriages where one spouse has stayed at home to manage the household and rear children tend to result in larger spousal support orders with longer terms.

In many cases, the Judge will issue a “Gavron Warning” to the spouse receiving support which establishes a goal for the time frame where they will be required to become financially self sufficient. Was a Gavron Warning issued in your case? Has that time frame passed?

Another question will center upon a significant change in the “Status Quo.”  Legally this refers to a combination of factors at the time of the order including the income and employment of the parties, the length of the marriage, the lifestyle the parties had enjoyed and the potential for each spouse to gain future employment.  Has there been a significant change in the status quo regarding your case and spousal support?

If the party paying the support has experienced a significant change in income, or if the party receiving the support no longer needs it a modification can be requested.  Perhaps the party receiving the support has remarried, and the Court needs to order an end to spousal support.

If the parties are in full agreement you can simply submit a request for the change to the Judge for new orders to be issued.

If you are involved in a dispute with your former spouse over modification of spousal support orders in Carlsbad we invite you to contact us or call 760-389-3927 to schedule an appointment with one of our experienced attorneys.